It does not matter whether you have just moved to abroad, or you have been living abroad for a while, there are things, which you probably think of as “it would be nice to do one day” up until your departure day and then you rush to actually do all what you have not done during all that time (usually years) while you have been living there. Thus, in order later not to regret, start doing them now. And here we are:1. Make a list of 10 the most famous sightseeing places in the city/region, whichever is appropriate and actually visit them. Also find what is the most popular place of worship in the place you live. Even if you are not a religious person, it would tell you a lot about local culture, traditions and history, so definitely worth visiting if you have not done it yet (saying yet, I visited Vatican on my 5th year of life in Italy and shortly before I moved).
2. What is the most famous sport of the country you are living in? Go and watch at least one big game, if you have not done that yet.
3. Make photos of the places you like/where you enjoy spending time.
5. Buy souvenirs and presents for the beloved ones. If you are planning to leave soon, do not leave this till your last day; get that sweet little necklace now.
6. Do you have any unused vouchers, gift certificates? Use them now or give them to a friend.
7. Imagine that your friends are coming to this place, what do you would recommend them to do/visit? Have you done all that from the list?
8. Go through your wardrobe: are you planning to take all of it? Check what you would like to keep and what you better give to the charity to make someone else happy. The same works for other your belongings, in the end of the day you are moving and it’s always easier to move ‘on light’.
9. Paperwork: make sure you do all necessary paper work well in advance:
- Close all unnecessary bank accounts
- If necessary, inform city council/police that you are leaving and get the certificate (you might need it in a new place)
- Get references
- Pay all your bills & if necessary close all your utility contracts
- In general, check what is necessary in your new place and start preparing those papers well in advance
10. Money: are you moving to a country, which has different currency? Think in advance, how are you planning to transfer your money, whether you need to convert it first. If you are planning to take cash, check how much cash you can carry over border from the country you are leaving and to the country you are arriving.
11. Packing: start packing sooner than later. First pack stuff which you know you will not need soon (clothes from different season, memorabilia). Items, which you use on every day basis, should be the last ones to be packed.
If so, please help me by writing to email@example.com or just leaving a comment.